14 September, 2017

REVIEW: THE EVOLUTION OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #2
Genres: YA, Paranormal
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release: 2012
Source: Kindle Edition/Audiobook
Pages: 528

// GoodReads // BookDepository //

SYNOPSIS: The truth about Mara Dyer's dangerous and mysterious abilities continues to unravel in the New York Times bestselling sequel to the thrilling The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past. She can't. She used to think her problems were all in her head. They aren't. She couldn't imagine that after everything she's been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. She's wrong. In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

Laura's Review



EXPECTATIONS: Alright, first of all I'm so sorry I've been inactive! now I have finished my thesis (one of them because the other I have to write for August) and I will be writing a couple of reviews before I go on vacation. I will be out from July 18th until August 16th, I will read of course but probably won't be posting reviews because an american girl is coming with my family for 2 weeks and I want to spend as much time as possible with her ;)

Back to the book... I loved The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer so for this book I wanted more Noah x Mara because I ship it and ANSWERS! just freaking answers!


WARNING: do.not.read.this.book.if.unprepared.because.omg.omg.omg.the.end

THE WORLD: The world is the same as in the previous book, so just our normal world except that some people have special "powers" or abilities but nobody knows why.

CHARACTERS: So we have Mara Dyer, Noah Shaw, Jude Lowe (who is Mara's ex and gains protagonism in an indirect form), Jamie Roth (Mara's bestie kinda) and Mara's family. In The Evolution the secondary characters gain a bit more protagonism like for example Noah is there always and Jude is mentioned a lot because of what Mara thinks happened in the accident and he seems to be a psychopath to be honest, he just messes up everything! and then there is Jamie who is hilarious and adds a bit of sass to the scene which is very much needed because just like in the first book here the visions get worse and some answers are given but they are of no use until the last book. Good luck speculating what is going to happen... uh, and while Mara is having visions and killing people she is put into "rehabilitation" which only messes up things more. By the way I hate Dr. Kells.

GOOD: All the craziness. It's very disturbing to read about her visions and how she wants but doesn't kill people or even harm herself but the mystery keeps me pumped. Also a major plus is Noah, I wish Michelle would publish the books in Noah's POV.

BAD: The ending!!! Honestly, the ending of this book was what made me wait several months to read the last book. Not that is a bad ending but I just couldn't because what if it really was true? NONONONONONONO

OVERALL: 4 stars. Disturbing and all it is still a great book but the ending! I will never forgive Michelle for all those months suffering (ggrrrrr)



HannahCassie's Review


EXPECTATIONS: I really loved the first book and was super excited to get into the next one, especially when Laura really loved the series too. 

THE WORLD: Frankly really really messed up. But in case you have not read this book yet it will be only ordinary for you. However if you did read it then damn, all the special abilities and messed up powers. Jup, as I said, really really messed up. 

CHARACTERS: Mara is the main character and the main narrator. We also get more of Noah but then rest are still pretty much side characters. Now let's take a better look. In first book Mara was a very unreliable narrator and that does not really change much in this book either. However she also starts to get annoying and just plain stupid rather often. She does not much care for others but again her parents are so horrible that I guess coming from such family you cannot really blame Mara. Noah on the other hand is same old guy that I hate. Seriously, I really did not like him in the first book and the fact that there will be whole trilogy about him gives me zero feelings. But in this book I guess his level of stupid gets to a whole new levels. He actually goes to psych institution just to be with Mara, I know teenagers get crazy but this kind of record for the rest of your life...right...

ROMANCE: Mara and Noah, of course. Not interested at all. 

GOOD: I really did not like this book so it is hard for me to really point out anything outstanding good. 

BAD: Representation of mental health, shitty parents, stupid and just plain ridiculous decisions of everybody. Yeah...nope just nope. How can a book get so bad so fast?

OVERALL: Okay so I gave this book three stars despite the fact that I really did not like it. Why? Because I think I am tired of YA and maybe I was a bit bias already before I went into this book. Plus I really hate Noah so anything with him is already not worth more than 3 stars. But I will eventually get to the final book. Maybe. One. Day. 

What do you think about THE EVOLUTION OF MARA DYER?