17 October, 2017

REVIEW: BONE WITCH by Rin Chupeco


Title: Bone Witch
Author: Rin Chupeco
Series: The Bone Witch #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Witches
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release: March 7th 2017
Source: Audiobook
Pages: 411

// Goodreads // BookDepository // Amazon //

BLURB:
The beast raged; it punctured the air with its spite. But the girl was fiercer.

Tea is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy makes her a bone witch, who are feared and ostracized in the kingdom. For theirs is a powerful, elemental magic that can reach beyond the boundaries of the living—and of the human.

Great power comes at a price, forcing Tea to leave her homeland to train under the guidance of an older, wiser bone witch. There, Tea puts all of her energy into becoming an asha, learning to control her elemental magic and those beasts who will submit by no other force. And Tea must be strong—stronger than she even believes possible. Because war is brewing in the eight kingdoms, war that will threaten the sovereignty of her homeland…and threaten the very survival of those she loves.



EXPECTATIONS: I have heard very mixed opinions about this book and frankly the only reason I did pick it up was because I pretty much read anything with witches.

THE WORLD: A big step back in time. In general it is also a very fictional world where some girls are born to be witches and healers but of course are also hated by many because of their power. The world also contains all sorts of magical creatures with majority of course being of bad origin. Basically every some years a demon is born and if he is not killed on time the demon raises and starts killing...in other wolds hell breaks lose. Witches are the ones that know how to kill these demons at the right time but being a witch also means you can drown in the ecstasy of your own power. Basically, it is cool to be a witch till it's not. But I liked it, very often in YA books characters only have power but in this book that power also has a price which I think makes it fair.

CHARACTERS: Tea is very new to being a witch and when she gets sick an older witch comes to heal her and take her away. Basically, Tea is training to be an asha but she is not the only one, there are actually many who train and it gets a bit ridiculous because asha school starts to feel like high school at some point till of course everybody realizes how powerful Tea is. There is a lot of back stabbing and manipulating and frankly I wasn't a biggest fan of it. I think Tea was alright majority of the book but the ending...yeah that just killed any desire to continue for me. Also Tea's teacher...I think she really is inspiring but then again at some point she takes sick and she gets weaker and weaker. There is of course an explanation for that but still...I would have liked for her to protect Tea more. 

ROMANCE: There is some but not a center. However, romance is the reason why there is back stabbing and a lot of manipulation. 

GOOD: I liked the power asha has and the whole tradition of magic. I also really liked that magic is not just given but can turn deadly really quickly if you are not careful. 

BAD: It was long and not really much action happened. Also it is not very memorable. 

OVERALL: I think it was not as bad as everybody says but I will not continue with the series. I like witches but the way witches are written in this book...I liked it but I did not love it. Also battling demons...not my cup of tea either. 

What do you think about THE BONE WITCH?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment