02 December, 2017

NaNoWriMo Wrap-up

November has come to an end, and so has NaNoWriMo, here the occasion was marked by first snow. With it being over, I want to congratulate everyone with finishing it, trying it, or even merely starting it. Whether you wrote a page or a hundred, you’ve done well to try. And just because it’s over, doesn’t mean we have to stop, right?


I started NaNoWriMo with a full-blown plan and calculations: how many words I need to finish on time, and how many it would take to finish on 20th, the day they allowed early entries for those who managed to beat the clock. But as days went, and I guess that was a case of many, the plan was left to gather dust, and I wrote when I could, as much as I could, literally finishing the story, the final 8000 words, on the very last day. I skipped days, and at some point started rewriting the story, because there seemed to be too much to fix to bother with it. After rewriting entire passages, I'd go back, and start fixing things again, wasting a lot of time, for it maybe earned me a hundred or two words, but took away many, many hours! I was about to quit. It was only thanks to V.E. Schwab that I didn't, who was my motivation to begin this in the first place. One of those gloomy days I opened twitter to find a post of hers:

[link]

And so, since around 24th of November I was catching up with 5000 words a day, more or less per each, until the final, 30th. I finished NaNoWriMo by writing a novel of 50031 words. It’s not a good execution of a decent, but not great story. But all that matters is that I did it, and same goes to you.

Congrats!

P.S. And if you didn’t have time, and if you didn’t have the mood, just remember your NaNoWriMo can start at any day you choose.

xoxo
- Quinn

0 comments:

Post a Comment